This Stagecast sim is based on a maze writing algorithm
which is described at Think Labyrinth. It ensures
that the maze is always solvable, with one and only
one path between start and finish, ie no 'loops' or
'islands' are formed.
Once a dead end is reached, all maze pieces are checked.
Those surrounded on all four sides are 'fossilised'.
ie changed from outline to solid form with no rules
The other pieces are available for branching and are
marked with a red square. These are removed 50% at
a time, eventually leaving one randomly selected piece
to continue the maze path. If possible, two new branches are created, forming a cross-roads intersection.
Once the maze is drawn, four ghosts
are released to solve it. They choose a random direction
at each junction. The first ghost to finish the maze
is declared the winner and the whole maze is consumed.
Dead ends remain, from which one is randomly chosen
to start the next maze.
Play Sim View Stage
No controls for this sim.
Maze Creation Rules
1) Find a random starting place and
2) Move one step at a time either forward, left or
3) Keep going until trapped on all four sides, forming
a 'dead end'.
4) Then, go back over the maze already drawn and choose
a random non fossilised piece.
5) Branch out from there, creating either a 'T' or
'X' junction piece.
6) Continue to move either forward, left or right
until again trapped.
7) Keep going until maze is complete.